/Library/Frameworks/ (was Re: mythtv backend firewire support)

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sun Sep 23 18:02:33 PDT 2012

At 7:11 PM -0500 9/23/12, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>On Sep 23, 2012, at 13:28, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>
>>  Quick question for those who know(TM):  so if we build the
>>AVCVideoServices.framework (outside of MacPorts), is it appropriate
>>to store it to store it in /Library/Frameworks/ ?  From the look of
>>it, third party software uses this folder for frameworks but I
>>can't quickly see a definitive answer on the Apple Developer site.
>
>Why not build it with MacPorts, and put it in ${frameworks_dir}?
>
>We usually discourage users from putting things in
>/Library/Frameworks (that is, we actively encourage them to remove
>things from there) because ports might opportunistically use them,
>just ports might opportunistically use libraries in /usr/local.
>
>https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#usrlocal

Hi Ryan:

Sorry, we went through this before:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.apple.macports.devel/19616/match=firewire+sdk

The framework I need is from Apple's Firewire software development
kit and (I believe) the license doesn't allow distribution.  You <g>
were the one that suggested adding a variant (to the mythtv-core.25
port) to link to the framework.  I just need some reasonable place to
store the framework.

Craig