Best way to upgrade PHP 5.3 to 5.4

Tim Johnson tim at akwebsoft.com
Fri Apr 19 18:00:58 PDT 2013

* Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> [130419 14:08]:
> On Apr 19, 2013, at 13:49, Tim Johnson wrote:
> > * Ryan Schmidt [130418 20:15]:
> >> Perhaps you're using the PHP that comes with OS X. Or perhaps you
> >> installed another copy somewhere.
> >  I'm pretty sure that it came with OS X.
> >
> >> Are you using PHP in a web server? If so, what web server? OS X's
> >> included copy of Apache 2 or something else? Its configuration
> >> file will no doubt have an entry for enabling PHP which should
> >> help you figure out where it is.
> >  Using Apache installed via macportss
>
> Hmm, ok. It's not intended to mix and match components. You should either use Apple Apache and Apple PHP, or MacPorts Apache and MacPorts PHP.

   Holy, moly!
   It turns out that I have php5 installed as an apache module
   linus:~ tim$ apachectl -t -D DUMP_MODULES | grep php
   Syntax OK
    php5_module (shared)

 I am terribly new to PHP and how it works - although I've been a
 'traditional' (I.E. non-PHP) CGI programmer since I had hair.

 I hope that I have not taken your time unnecessarily. You've given
 my question a great deal of responses. I will store you responses
 as resource info.

 Thanks very much again. If I wasn't such a noob, I would have
 checked for modules first thing, but I've just been edified on the
 apache/PHP architecture.

 regards
--
Tim