keep dspam alive?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 6 12:33:53 PDT 2013

On Aug 6, 2013, at 14:09, Terry Barnum wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2013, at 11:26 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Aug 6, 2013, at 13:23, Terry Barnum wrote:
>>
>>> The macports dspam port doesn't appear to create a launchd plist or daemondo wrapper. How would one create a daemondo .plist to restart dspam when it crashes?
>>>
>>> Right now I have this .plist and wrapper but they don't restart dspam when it crashes. Thanks for any guidance.
>>
>> Rather than manually making a plist, startupitem directives should be added to the port.
>
> I agree, that would be certainly be the preferred fix, but since I have no port building skills what can I do in the meantime?

And I don't know dspam, so I need guidance from someone with dspam experience to know what parameters we need to use to start it, so that we can put that into the portfile.

The key to launchd is to make sure the spawned process does *not* go into the background. Looking at "man dspam" I think the way we do that is with the arguments --daemon --nofork.

I've filed a ticket for this enhancement request and attached a patch to it. Does that patch create a startupitem that works for you?

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/40033