openDKIM, unbound, ldns

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 21 16:11:39 PDT 2013

On Aug 21, 2013, at 11:24, Stubbs Jeff wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2013, at 12:07 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Aug 20, 2013, at 21:04, Stubbs Jeff wrote:
>>
>>> I'm going to start testing the system shortly, but was curious if any one was able to install the ports without modification?
>>
>> Yes, I can install them OK on Mountain Lion without changes.
>
> Must be a powerpc issue, then.

I would say it's a Leopard issue. I can reproduce the ldns build failure on Leopard on i386.

> But the openssl port doesn't seem to have a variant for the that config option

Should it? I would rather the openssl port always configure itself correctly, without need for user intervention.

>>> modified the deployment target to "macosx_deployment_target 10.5"
>>> (Don't know why I modified the target, but it didn't have any visible effect)
>>
>> MacPorts automatically sets MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET to the correct value for all ports.
>
> I thought so, but it was explicitly called out in the port file.

Ah, I see, the portfile explicitly changes MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET to 10.4 on 10.5:

platform darwin 9 {
    macosx_deployment_target 10.4
}

This was added in r35712 (on 2008-04-03) but without explanation why. It looks like it was just copied from a similar darwin 8 block that had already been in the portfile since r22077 (on 2007-02-17) again without explanation.

MacPorts base didn't start setting MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET globally until r34541 (on 2008-02-27) which was not released to the public until MacPorts 1.7.0 (on 2008-12-13). So the manual setting of MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET in the ldns portfile is an anachronism that should be removed.

> I googled the problem and found a web page (about 5 years old) that mentioned the source code would default to a target of 10.1

Mac OS X 10.1 through 10.4 set MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET to 10.1 by default. Mac OS X 10.5 and later set it to the Mac OS X major version number.

Building universal binaries (which is something MacPorts wants to be able to do) doesn't work when MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET is set to less than 10.4 (because 10.4 is the first Intel-compatible version of Mac OS X) therefore in MacPorts we changed the default to always be the Mac OS X major version number.