Installing mysql for digikam

David Lyon gtmdhl at vfemail.net
Sat Dec 7 13:33:48 PST 2013

Imac running OS 10.9 with Xcode 5.0.2, Xcode Command Line Tools extension
  package for Maverick, MacPort,  and digikam (3.5.0).
  I am unsophisticated regarding the language of Open Source but was
  successful in getting all the items installed to open Digikam. However,
  when it opens it is very unstable and crashes upon any simple attempt to
  run any menu items. Perhaps the program requires mySQL server and my
attemots to install mySQl have resulted in the following

I received the following output following attempting to install mySQL for
digikam. My comments and questions follow the error messages and are begin
in the middle of the page followed by XXXXXX. I have searched the Tickets
on MacPorts for this issue but it is not helpful and suggests ther may be
issues with mySQL.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Sincerely,
David

bash-3.2$ sudo -u_mysql mysql_install_db5
Installing MySQL system tables...
OK
Filling help tables...
OK

To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy
support-files/mysql.server to the right place for your system

				XXXXXX	Where do I copy the files to and how do I do this??

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:

/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'

			  XXXXXXX	Running the sequence above get error
message:/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at
'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:  exists!

error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
'/opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock' exists!
			XXXXXX	How do I check that mysql is running and that socket
"/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost'"
exist???

/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h leahsigscreen.home
password 'n-password'

Alternatively you can run:
/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_secure_installation
			XXXXX Running the above scropt I receive:

NOTE: RUNNING ALL PARTS OF THIS SCRIPT IS RECOMMENDED FOR ALL MySQL
       SERVERS IN PRODUCTION USE!  PLEASE READ EACH STEP CAREFULLY!

In order to log into MySQL to secure it, we'll need the current
password for the root user.  If you've just installed MySQL, and
you haven't set the root password yet, the password will be blank,
so you should just press enter here.

Enter current password for root (enter for none):

which will also give you the option of removing the test
databases and anonymous user created by default.  This is
strongly recommended for production servers.

			XXXXX It seems that this is irrelevant as I don't know the password and
if mySQl is running or available

See the manual for more instructions.

You can start the MySQL daemon with:
cd /opt/local ; /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqld_safe &

		XXXXX Running the above script I receive; bash-3.2$
"/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_safe: No such file or directory"---which
suggests there is mysql directory--How do I create one with no password

You can test the MySQL daemon with mysql-test-run.pl
cd /opt/local/mysql-test ; perl mysql-test-run.pl

		XXXX I receive the following after attempting the above script;bash-3.2$
mysql-test-run.pl cd/opt/local/mysql-test ; perl mysql-test-run.pl
bash: mysql-test-run.pl: command not found
Can't open perl script "mysql-test-run.pl": No such file or directory
bash-3.2$

Please report any problems with the /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqlbug
script!

bash-3.2$

VFEmail.net - http://www.vfemail.net
ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!