port install painfully slow

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 06:56:41 PST 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 7:43 AM, Brian D. McGrew <brian at visionpro.com> wrote:

> Ah, right, thanks for the clarification.  We set
> DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH, not the other.  But, I don't set that in a new
> terminal.  I have to run a script that sets up my build environment, which
> is 'usually' the first thing I do.  So popping a new terminal and running
> port without my build environment works fine.  But, if I set my env and
> DYLD_FALLBACK… is set, it no workee…  very slow, don't know why.  but the
> fix, I just won't have DYLD_ set when I run port.  Still, never seen this
> before and if anyone knows why it's happening, I'd be interested in knowing.

We can't tell for certain without knowing what your environment looks like,
but it is very likely that your replacement libraries are shadowing some
standard function in a way that breaks MacPorts (and may affect other OS X
native software although perhaps not as drastically). There are some
debugging DYLD_ variables you can set to show what is getting bound from
where, but without knowing what's in the libraries you have been forcing it
to use we can't even guess.