where put font forge docs?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 09:47:31 PST 2013

I suspected it would be somewhere in /opt/local. Thanks!

Looking further, I see in the fontforge app’s File > Preferences menu item window an entry for HelpDir that’s set to default, in fact, to:

  /opt/local/share/fontforge/doc/fontforge

So that’s where I unarchived the docs, and now I do get the locally-installed files.

Evidently /opt/local/share/doc/fontforge would work, too, provided one changes the HelpDir preference.

I guess it’s “tidy” to keep the docs within /opt/local/share/fontforge, but what will happen on a version upgrade? will they be left unaffected (I would presume)?

On Dec 10, 2013, at 12:42 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I’ve installed the port fontforge @20120731_2. Now I want the Help to call local help files.
>
> Following instructions at http://fontforge.org/source-build.html#Documentation, I put the downloaded, unarchived documentation at /usr/local/share/doc/fontforge.
>
> But still, after starting fontforge from Terminal and using either the Fn F1 key or the Help > Help menu item in fontforge, I get the on-line documentation from fontforge.org instead.
>
> MacPorts uses /opt/local instead of /usr/local, so try /opt/local/share/doc/fontforge.

---
Murray Eisenberg		murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101		Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334