Fwd: ghc build dependencies

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Dec 19 06:53:01 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 04:01:54PM +0200, Alexey Luchko wrote:
> I was trying to install ghc and faced the same problem with
> ghc-bootstrap 7.0.4_0 as others.
> https://trac.macports.org/search?q=ghc-bootstrap&noquickjump=1&portsummarysearch=on

What problem do you have that others have? The only ticket left open in
this query is https://trac.macports.org/ticket/36996, and while that's
somewhat annoying, it doesn't break anything.

> But I was trying to install a prebuilt package of ghc.  It is ghc
> @7.6.3_4 +gcc48. ghc-bootstrap is stated as build dependency.  But I
> don't build anything. As far as I can imagine there is no need in
> ghc-bootstrap in this case.

You're right, there's no need to install ghc-bootstrap in this case. I'm
currently using the active_variants portgroup to ensure ghc-bootstrap
was installed with the same variants as ghc is going to be. However, the
active_variants portgroup doesn't know about build dependencies and that
they might not be required when installing from a binary package. That's
a bug in said portgroup.

I am aware of the issue for about a week now, but haven't had time to
cook up a fix.

> So I wonder is ghc-bootstrap really required for installing prebuilt
> ghc package?  (I don't mean port implementation details. :)

No, it's not. You can safely remove it after having it installed, too.

--
Clemens Lang