Broken perl configuration

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 13:00:03 PST 2013

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz> wrote:

> Why would macports even care about something
> 'not installed by a portfile' (which I read:
> not installed via macports)?

MacPorts doesn't.  Which is in some sense the problem:  MacPorts can't
protect you from some port inappropriately finding your manually installed
program and using it, and then breaking because it didn't get updated after
you upgraded some dependency.  If it was installed from a Portfile, then
MacPorts can at least try to use that Portfile to rebuild it (e.g. some XS).

Actually, there is one case where MacPorts cares:  you install something
manually, later you install something via MacPorts that wants to write
files in the same place.  It will abort in that case rather than
overwriting your files, preventing your install.