mysqld vs. mysql-server

Chris Janton face at centosprime.com
Mon Feb 25 07:07:54 PST 2013

On 2013-02-25 , at 07:24 , Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> After I install the port mysql55-server, I have among other things binaries
>
>  /opt/local/lib/mysql55/bin/mysqld
>  /opt/local/share/mysql55/support-files/mysql.server
>
> What's the difference?

mysql.server isn't a binary - it is a shell script.

Looking into the contents it appears to be the start/stop/restart tool for Linux-like systems.

The macports version of start/stop is done with launchd and daemondo - that's what the

  port load/unload

commands do.

I don't think the mysql.server file is actually used in a typical Mac OS X environment.

8)
Chris Janton  - face at CentosPrime dot COM
Netminder for Opus1.COM