Notes...that flash by and are gone...(was Re: any good audio/video editing apps in macports?)

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Mon Feb 25 11:20:19 PST 2013

On Feb 25 08:57:09, ctreleaven at cogeco.ca wrote:
> At 2:05 PM +0100 2/25/13, Jan Stary wrote:
> >[...]
> >> 3) Deliver the messages in another manner:  eg, cause them to open
> >> in TextEdit or a browser window.
> >
> >That needs the capability to "open a window".
> >No way.
>
> Um, OS X includes this graphical user interface thingy.  We don't
> have to ignore it _all_ the time!

Which clearly is a reason to _display_text_ with a GUI.
Right.

We also have the say(1) command.
I'd like my install message in a southern Irish voice please.

> > > I think a few lines of Applescript
> >> would be enough to create a new window and display all the Notes
> >> messages from an install.  (We would even have the option to use rtf
> >> or html to format the messages to improve delivery.)
> >
> >No fucking way.
>
> Interesting.  Which part offends you so much:  Applescript or formatting?

Opening new windows, rtf and hmtl.

> >How about: print all the meesages at the very end
> >of the whole install. That's how OpenBSD does it.
>
> That would be an improvement as long as users aren't left hanging on
> cancelled or failed installs.

Display all the messages of all that has been installed,
whether the port(1) job as a whole finished successfully or not.
Of course.

An install that't "left hanging"
does nothing either way.