perl

Alejandro Imass aimass at yabarana.com
Thu Feb 28 05:29:48 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 7:06 AM, Masha Vecherkovskaya
<mashavecher at yahoo.com> wrote:
> It's not that I WANT to use CPAN. It was advised in Circos installation
> instructions. That is why I asked if I have a chance to mess up everything.

When you install Perl from MacPorts you will be using that one and
should not have any conflicts with the system-installed Perl.

You can use CPAN just fine and combine them with MacPorts Perl ports.
Usually you should try to stick with one method or the other, but it
really should make no difference.

I prefer to use CPAN and I use it everyday. What may happen is that
MacPorts Perl upgrades may break your CPAN installed modules because
the INC will no longer see them. Just re-install them and you'll be
fine. You can later remove old versions first from MacPorts and the rm
the old libs manually from the old paths.

To figure out which Perl you are running just type 'which perl' on the
shell and you should get:

/opt/local/bin/perl

Which is the MacPorts Perl

To find out what the INC directories are jus type this on the shell:

perl -E 'say for @INC'

And you should get something like:

/opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.12.4/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.12.4
/opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.12.4/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.12.4
/opt/local/lib/perl5/5.12.4/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/opt/local/lib/perl5/5.12.4
/opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.12.3/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.12.3
/opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
/opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
.

Basically when you use CPAN or the MacPorts install the libs will get
installed into one of these directories above and as you can see some
of them are version specific and some are not. After a MacPorts
upgrade DO NOT remove old libs without removing the inactive Perl
versions from MacPorts first.

port installed | grep perl

Check for inactive versions and remove them before attempting to
remove any CPAN installed libraries from old paths that are no longer
in use.

Cheers,

--
Alejandro Imass