digikam - khelpcenter and trash problems

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 22:05:14 PST 2013

On 06/01/2013, at 2:11 PM, Clayton Ginsburg wrote:
> I have recently installed macports for the purpose of using digikam.  So far it is working wonderfully except for two issues I would love assistance resolving
>
> 1)  When I try to delete a photo I receive the error "
> Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
> klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'trash'.
> .
> "
> I would like the ability to delete photos from within digikam or if this is not possible, does anyone have a suggested procedure on a work around (e.g. delete from finder, force digikam database to update, etc...)
>
> 2) When I try to use the help functionality of digikam(or any kde program) by choosing Help -> digikam handbook I receive the message "
> Could not launch the KDE Help Center:
>
> Could not find service 'khelpcenter'.
> "
> I do see a program installed called "khelpcenter.app" in /Applications/MacPorts/kde4 that opens just fine, but does not contain the digikam handbook.

The answer may be to run "kbuildsycoca4" from the command line (full
path /opt/local/bin/kbuildsycoca4).  This is a KDE utility that maintains
a cache of KDE applications and where to find them (sycoca = system
configuration cache).

It is a good idea to run this after installing any KDE app in Macports.  For
more information, there was a thread on this list entitled "SyCoCa - Fixing
broken KDE apps", from 16 Sept 2012 to 8 Oct 2012.

Basically, the larger KDE apps, such as Digikam, tend to rely on other
apps, plugins or KParts for some of their functionality and KSyCoCa4
tells the apps where to find other components and how to launch them.

Hope this helps.  I am glad you can get Digikam to install - I must have
another go sometime ...

Cheers, Ian W.