Advanced configuration of SMLNJ

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Thu Jan 31 18:43:07 PST 2013

On Jan 31, 2013, at 9:06 PM, Watson Ladd <watsonbladd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have strong opinions on how SMLNJ 110.75 should be configured? They support some incompatible options, and I want to turn on more then the most basic ones but am not sure what set should be.

You might want to enable a fair number of options by default and add conflicting variants for incompatible options.

> Also if anyone has guidance on how to use the rewrite facilities of Macports that would be appreciated. The former portfile is a guide, but I would appreciate some more information about what to do and what not to do. Is it basically sed on steroids?

Are you referring to reinplace? It's mostly used for in-place substitutions, like sed. I'm not even sure it can do anything else; I've never tried.

If at all possible, we prefer the use of patches over reinplace, because patches fail loudly if they can't be applied, while reinplace silently does nothing. Patches also provide context. Any reinplaces that do not involve a variable (e.g., the last 3 reinplaces in smlnj's configure block) should be patches instead.

vq