Macports does what I want (?) not what I say

Enrico Placci e.placci at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 06:39:35 PDT 2013

On 2013-07-04, at 13:44, Aljaž Srebrnič wrote:

> So, I either suggest running "sudo port -cn upgrade percona-toolkit", or defining an alias like "alias sp="sudo port -cn" and using that.
>
> I hope this helps,
> Aljaž

Thank you , it helps! I totally missed that.

On 2013-07-04, at 13:57, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2013, at 07:32, Enrico Placci wrote:
>

>> So why would I want to upgrade
>> ncurses @5.9_1 to @5.9_2
>> gettext @0.18.2_1 to @0.18.2.1_0
>> perl @5.12.4_1+dtrace to @5.12.4_2+dtrace
>> zlib @1.2.7_0 to @1.2.8_0
>> openssl @1.0.1c_0 to @1.0.1e_1
>> mysql5 @5.1.66_1 to @5.1.70_0
>> ?
>
> Because they are direct or indirect dependencies of the port you asked to install or upgrade.

But there is really no need to upgrade them, they already satisfy the dependency. This wasn't even too bad, after all, when I hit gtk I want to cry.

>> Is there any way I can restore the previous behaviour both in regards to upgrading dependencies and upgrading when I say install?
>
> MacPorts has always first upgraded dependencies of the ports you asked to install or upgrade. Not doing so would be completely counterproductive to the way that MacPorts is designed to work. We will not help you attempt to circumvent a fundamental functionality of MacPorts, because it would likely increase our support burden when you do this and then ask us why things aren't working right.

Maybe I mistook a very old bug (in the ports if not in macports, I'm sure it happened) for a feature, but I really liked it. I assume from your answer that there is no intention whatsoever of implementing a >= check for dependencies versions. It doesn't sound so unreasonable to me, but then again I'm not the one developing it...

>> I'd really love to have back a tool that does what I say not what it believes I want.
>> I already put this into my aliases
>> port='port -cn'
>> but it obviously doesn't work.
>
> -c is autoclean mode which is the default; you do not need to specify it.
>
> -n is don't-upgrade-dependencies mode; please don't attempt to use that on a regular basis; it's meant for special situations only.

I promise I will not come back crying before removing the option and re-updating everything, but I just can't stand hours of compilation on my tiny cpu while I'm working. I'll try to schedule over-weekend updates for the dependencies...

Thanks for the feedback
Enrico