Where to manually place extra python resources

Busser, Jim james.busser at ubc.ca
Wed Mar 20 09:46:26 PDT 2013

Hi all,

An application written in python wants to import a python library not presently included among MacPorts' ports. The library in question is hl7 which parses health care-related messages encoded in HL7 v 2.x and available from

	https://pypi.python.org/pypi/hl7/0.2.5

I have had success by placing the untarred directory (hl7) and its subjacent files (__init__.py, client.py) in the same directory as the app's launcher, but only because the launcher shell script adds that directory to PYTHONPATH.

Is there some more "standard" place under Mac OS where I can relocate the hl7 library so that my MacPorts python can find it? I have already tried placing it under each of the following, with no luck:

	/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
	/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Resources

Thanks!