Where to manually place extra python resources

Busser, Jim james.busser at ubc.ca
Wed Mar 20 11:34:39 PDT 2013

On 2013-03-20, at 10:34 AM, Jeremy Lavergne <jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:

> pip is the python package manager; if python's able to use packages in those directories then manually putting something in there will be accessible, regardless of MacPorts' involvement.

> So just create the directories and try it? I ran the pip command (`pip install --user hl7) and here's what it installed:

Thanks! As my machine has no pip command, I ran

	sudo port install py26-pip

and was then briefly stymied, until identifying -- from within /opt/local/bin -- that the binary's actual name is

	pip-26

after which I ran

	pip-2.6 install --user hl7

which, after I ignored the following prompts (not being sure why bitbucket was accessed):

	User for www.bitbucket.org:
	Password:

	  Downloading hl7-0.2.5.tar.gz
	  Running setup.py egg_info for package hl7
	    warning: no previously-included files found matching 'docs/_build'
	    warning: no previously-included files matching '*~' found anywhere in distribution
	Installing collected packages: hl7
	  Running setup.py install for hl7
	    warning: no previously-included files found matching 'docs/_build'
	    warning: no previously-included files matching '*~' found anywhere in distribution
	    Installing mllp_send script to /Users/djb/.local/bin
	Successfully installed hl7
	Cleaning up...

and all at the end of which my ~/.local now contains bin and lib/python2.6/sitepackages/hl7 (with hl7-0.2.5-py2.6.egg-info) … and it works !! Much appreciated.

-- Jim