Start X11 automatically when launching programs from Terminal

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Thu May 16 21:24:40 PDT 2013

On May 16, 2013, at 8:00 PM, Leo Singer <aronnax at macports.org> wrote:

> On May 16, 2013, at 7:55 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> On May 16, 2013, at 10:11 PM, Leo Singer <aronnax at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Could you add a startupitem so that you can load/unload X11 with 'port (un)load) xinit'?

What is it that you wish to accomplish with this?

>> Jeremy's the authority, of course, but I'm not sure how this would work. There are two launchd items involved with xinit:
>>
>>   - /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.privileged_startx.plist
>>   - /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macports.startx.plist
>>
>> Which one would "port load" affect? Only one of these is a daemon, but it's probably not the one you're thinking of flipping the switch for.
>
> I don't know how they differ. I do notice that there is the line:
>
>    system "launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.privileged_startx.plist"
>
> in the port's post-activate stage. What does that do?

It loads the org.macports.privileged_startx daemon into the system launchd bootstrap (which will normally happen at boot after this point).

> Could the port also do:
>
>    system "launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macports.startx.plist"

That's what the xinit port tells you to do if you want MacPorts' X11.app to be default.  I see no reason to force that in the portfile.