Refresher on gcc port and the executables

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Wed May 22 03:25:08 PDT 2013

Hello all,

Its been some time since I looked more deeply at the GCC ports. On a new
Mac recently I installed MacPorts and then specifically installed gcc47
into my port prefix path /opt/local

I looked today and realized there are several binaries (in /opt/local/bin),
such as:

gcc-ranlib-mp-4.7
gcc-nm-mp-4.7
gcc-mp-4.7
gcc-ar-mp-4.7
g++-mp-4.7

and:

x86_64-apple-darwin12-gcc-ranlib-mp-4.7
x86_64-apple-darwin12-gcc-nm-mp-4.7
x86_64-apple-darwin12-gcc-mp-4.7
x86_64-apple-darwin12-gcc-ar-mp-4.7
x86_64-apple-darwin12-gcc-4.7.2
x86_64-apple-darwin12-g++-mp-4.7

I forgot what the difference means in the above examples. If I want to
compile some C or C++ code without any help from Apple's tools (for example
the way I might do on a Linux system), would I simply use the top list
(gcc* and g++*) and avoid the bottom list (x86*)?

I also have Xcode installed on this Mac and for some code to compile I do
not want to use Apple's gcc bundled with Xcode. So given the above, do I
need to use gcc_select and if so any suggestions on how best to do so?

Thank you for a reminder / refresher of what the differences mean.

Cheers,

-Tabitha