xorg-server as non-root

Gino Van Hauwermeiren ginovh at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 14:12:20 PST 2013

Hi,

I installed macports locally as non-root. (when I configured it I gave
./configure these options : --with-applications-dir=<my_app_dir>
--with-no-root-privileges --with-shared-directory --with-install-user=<my
username>
I can install most other ports without problem, not using sudo. SO this
seems to be ok.

But when I install xorg-server I get this error:

MacPorts requires root privileges for this action

Error: Failed to install xinit

( I work on Mavericks OS X 10.9)

My questions:

1) can xinit (and thus xorg-server) be installed as non-root? If yes, what
do I do wrong? Is there somewhere more documentation about this?
2) if this can't be done, can I simply install XQuartz instead of
xorg-server? And will all apps from macports needing X11 server also work?
(this apps having a dependency on xorg-server)

Thanks,

Best regards,

Gino