Problem installing gcc on Mavericks

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Nov 27 11:33:50 PST 2013

On Nov 27, 2013, at 12:54, Yannis Haralambous wrote:

> I have the following problem: to install Apertium on my Maverics MacBook Pro, I need to reinstall pcre (so that it becomes UTF-8 compliant). pcre requires gcc42 as dependency.

It does not:

$ port deps pcre
Full Name: pcre @8.33_0
Build Dependencies:   autoconf, automake, libtool
Library Dependencies: bzip2, libedit, zlib

> My system already has gcc from Xcode:
>
> Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
> Apple LLVM version 5.0 (clang-500.2.79) (based on LLVM 3.3svn)
> Target: x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.2
> Thread model: posix

It does not; it has clang. But that’s ok; gcc is not required.

> When I try to install pcre, I get the following error message:
>
> sudo port install pcre
> --->  Computing dependencies for pcre
> --->  Cleaning pcre

pcre was already successfully installed.

> --->  Updating database of binaries: 100.0%
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 100.0%
> --->  Found 617 broken file(s), matching files to ports
> --->  Found 7 broken port(s), determining rebuild order

Other ports you already had installed were determined to be broken.

> --->  Rebuilding in order
>     gcc42 @4.2.3
>     xpm @3.5.7
>     Xft2 @2.1.13
>     xorg-libXmu @1.0.4
>     openmotif @2.3.1-1
>     xorg-libXaw @1.0.5
>     ddd @3.3.11
> --->  Fetching distfiles for gcc42
> Error: gcc42 does not build on Leopard or later.

gcc42 does not build on Leopard or later. You should uninstall it.

How did you get it installed in the first place? Presumably you installed it on an older OS, then upgraded to Mavericks? You should uninstall and reinstall all ports after doing so. There are other steps you should do too, described here:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration