Where do I find the changelog of a port package?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Nov 28 06:27:37 PST 2013

On 2013-11-28 11:45, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Sometimes I'm interested in finding out the differences between the old
> and the new-to-be installed version of a port.
>
> Is there a canonical way to get access to a changelog?
>
> I'm interested in the upstream changelog within the sources (should
> there be one)  as well as in the changes the port maintainer might have
> applied (to portfile, to sources, whatever...)

There is no way to view the upstream ChangeLog as that varies a lot
across different projects. For the changes done to a port by the
maintainer, you can only view the Subversion log directly.

For example, for the vim port this would be here in Trac:
https://trac.macports.org/log/trunk/dports/editors/vim

There is also a tool in our contrib directory which automates this
process. port-whatsnew finds the date you installed a port and presents
the Subversion commit log since then:

https://trac.macports.org/browser/contrib/port-whatsnew/port-whatsnew
(also pending ticket http://trac.macports.org/ticket/38110)

> Also, the "port list someport" shows the version info only in an
> incomplete way. In order to see more, you need to run"port installed
> someport".
>
> Is there a way to get the same version info in"port list" as I get
> with"port installed"?

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#portlist

Rainer