build failure dbus 1.8 on OS X 10.6

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 14:57:43 PDT 2014

I was doing an upgrade after a selfupdate on my 10.6.8 system, and stumbled across a dbus build failure due to line 262 in bus/dir-watch-kqueue.c , where O_CLOEXEC is passed to open(). Indeed I cannot find this flag in my header files (except iOS headers ...)

What are the options here? I'm a bit amazed that this flag wasn't passed in earlier dbus versions, as it's been around since Linux kernel 2.6.23 ...

Also, I get a warning

> Warning: You have requested an obsolete variant
> Warning: Installation of startup items are now determined by /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf
> Warning: See https://guide.macports.org/#reference.startupitems

The startupitems variable in my macports.conf is left to the default, and the installed variant (which is almost certainly an automatically installed variant) is dbus at 1.6.12_0+no_root+startupitem+universal . I checked, all those variants are still existent, so what does the warning above mean?

R.