pbzip2 isn't faster

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Sat Apr 5 08:14:55 PDT 2014

On Saturday, April 5, 2014, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Friday April 04 2014 22:33:31 Eric A. Borisch wrote:
>

> > I'm all for it. To reiterate - pbzip2 outputs are fully compatible with
>
> > bzip2.
>

> Isn't there a similar interface to xz? Debian uses that for compression
> now, and I'm rather impressed with the compression gain that gives.
>

> R.

Yes, but a private pbzip2 can be installed with no dependencies (using
/usr/lib/libbz2) while pxz would require a private xz and pxz install (I
think.)

It would also mean that some archives (on packages.macports.org) would be
.tbz2 and some would not, which would lead to a transition plan and period.

  - Eric [resend to list address]