uninstall?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 19 02:51:32 PDT 2014

On Apr 19, 2014, at 02:12, Dirk Cushenbery wrote:

> I am new to MacPorts.  I was trying to use it to set up Max MSP, OSC, and OpenNi.  I was following the directions for set up when I realized I overlooked,
>
> "click and select command line links when finishing up MacPorts install”

Welcome to MacPorts!

I am not certain what instructions you’re referring to, because that wording is strange. If you’re referring to the command line *tools*, then yes, those are required, in addition to Xcode and MacPorts itself.

> so, I thought I would reinstall it.  I drug the MacPorts folder to the trash.  I now realize that an uninstall is much more involved.  The same directions said to ask on this list about whether and uninstall is necessary or not.

Which “MacPorts folder” are you referring to?

> Do I need to uninstall at this point?

So far, I see no reason why you should need to uninstall MacPorts, however you may already have damaged your MacPorts installation, depending on what you removed above. If you’ve trashed some essential part of MacPorts, then you need to reinstall MacPorts, for example by re-running the MacPorts installer pkg that you download from our web site. It’s safe to reinstall MacPorts in any case.

You also need to install Xcode and the Xcode command line tools, ideally before you install MacPorts itself. How to do so varies based on the OS X version and Xcode version. Consult https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.xcode.html