redo destroot after tweaking build?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Aug 3 19:11:08 PDT 2014

On Aug 2, 2014, at 8:42 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> Suppose one is working on adapting an OS project to become a port. You've done a `port destroot` and then realise you want to try some small change in the build. Rather than doing the whole build all over again, you do a `make` in the build directory ... and then what? I just discovered that removing the destroot directory isn't enough to let `port destroot` create a new one, which leaves me in a bit of a deadlock situation.

If the destroot phase was not successfully completed, removing the destroot directory is all you need to do before trying again. If you've edited the portfile between attempts, but don't want the work directory to be automatically deleted, use the "-o" flag to keep it even though it is now older than the portfile (e.g. "sudo port -o destroot"). If the destroot phase was completed successfully but you want to do it again anyway, in addition to removing the destroot directory, edit the statefile (the file named ".macports.${subport}.state" in the port's work directory) and remove the last line, referencing the destroot phase.