Problem with Macports, homebrew, and ghostscript

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Feb 12 05:44:04 PST 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Art McGee <amcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Homebrew is mainly intended to be used by developers who use their system
> almost exclusively for development. They are unconcerned with the effects of
> mucking with /usr/local and it's ownership or permissions.

I know this is getting off topic, but I disagree with this assessment.
While I'm sure there are developers that use Homebrew, I think the
primary audience is the average user who "just wants it to work" (I'm
sure that demographic includes developers as well). Specifically, the
user who doesn't understand why MacPorts is taking so long to install
so many things when all they want is one tool. They're probably
already running as an administrator and are the only user on the
system, so who cares if /usr/local is set world writeable? From a
certain point of view, that seems valid, but it does ignore the
reasons that led to MacPorts' "complexity" and the steps that MacPorts
has taken to mitigate some of those concerns (ie. pre-built packages).

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448