jpilot

Ludwig macports at metaspasm.org
Wed Jan 15 21:23:03 PST 2014

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Lenore Horner wrote:

> Since it annoys me no end to throw away hardware that works, I’m still trying to use a Palm TX on Mavericks.  It may not be possible, but I thought I’d try jpilot.
>
> When I do and try to hot sync, it tells me
> pi_bind error: /dev/pilot No such file or directory
> Check your serial port and settings
> Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_BIND
>
> That’s all very well, but I don’t find any instructions about what should be in the file /dev/pilot or where I should set my serial port and settings.  Anyone out there still using this and able to tell me what the file /dev/pilot should contain?

Files in the /dev directory aren’t normal files, they represent interfaces to
physical devices (among other things.)  So /dev/disk0 is the first hard drive,
/dev/modem would be a modem, /dev/random is the random number generator,
/dev/null is where your missing sock went, and so on.  The lack of /dev/pilot
suggests that the Palm drivers are missing.

For obvious reasons, Palm has not been keeping its drivers up-to-date;
http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/33529_en.html#mac is still
downloadable but I would be very very surprised if it worked on 10.9.  I did
find this: http://pccallup.sourceforge.net which may be a working replacement.
(I don’t have one to test with, sorry.)