Troubles installing ports with Macports 2.3.1

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Jul 1 07:12:20 PDT 2014

Hi,

> I suppose that, during the "Computing dependencies for auto-multiple-choice"
> phase, a lot of http requests are made to obtain port information and that
> these requests are not fully closed either by Macports or by the proxy. As
> this problem is recent (at least for me), it is perhaps related to a recent
> Java update (the proxy is a java application).
>
> If it were MacPorts then I would expect lots of people to see this; so it's
> the ad proxy. Additionally CLOSE_WAIT TCP state makes me think the ad proxy
> is not responding in a timely fashion.

MacPorts as of 2.3.0 attempts to use HTTP pipelining. That requires that we
keep existing connections open rather than closing and cleaning them up right
after a download finished, like we previously did.

This only applies to actual downloads, other actions (like checking for file
existence and/or file modification date on a remote server) do not use this.
As such, I don't think "computing dependencies" can cause this even with the
new code (since it doesn't have any new code), but downloads might.
Nevertheless we should probably investigate the possibility.

--
Clemens Lang