Startup tasks

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Fri Jul 11 10:58:48 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 4:01 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2014, at 2:11 AM, Bill Christensen wrote:
>
> > On 7/11/14 12:58 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> >
> >> Do you have MacPorts installed on a partition different from your OS X
> startup partition? I have noticed this problem when using such a
> configuration.
> >
> > No, it's all on one drive.
> >
> > But it is on an external drive.  I don't think that should cause any
> problem though, do you?
>
> I don't know. In my case, the problem was that MacPorts was on a different
> partition than the OS X partition, which OS X hadn't deigned to mount yet
> by the time that it looked for launchd plists on it, so things didn't get
> launched at startup.

Could it be the $Paths?   I currently have in /etc/paths:

 /opt/bin

     /opt/sbin

     /opt/local/bin

     /opt/local/sbin

     /opt/local/bin/php

     /opt/local/apache2/bin

     /opt/local/lib/postgresql93/bin - not sure about this one

     /usr/bin

     /bin

     /usr/sbin

     /sbin
     /usr/local/bin

The manual startup command for PostgreSQL is:
sudo su postgres -c '/opt/local/lib/postgresql93/bin/initdb -D
/opt/local/var/db/postgresql93/defaultdb'

and the manual one i use for Fetchmail is

/opt/local/bin/fetchmail -d 500 --fetchmailrc /etc/fetchmailrc --nodetach
--nosyslog

which I *think* should be covered by the paths above.