Package open-cobol not working for me

Eric Gallager egall at gwmail.gwu.edu
Tue Jun 3 18:24:31 PDT 2014

Sorry for not replying sooner, I was away for a Memorial Day vacation last
weekend, and once I got back, I was still trying to debug some kernel
panics that my computer had been experiencing, which meant I couldn't
really use it for email... anyway, on to the issue... open-cobol is
actually a source-to-source compiler (or "transpiler") that compiles to C
code, and then uses the host C compiler to compile the generated C code,
which means that something that looks like an open-cobol error might
actually be an error with your host compiler. By the error message, it
looks like OP is using the clang that comes with Mavericks/Xcode 5, which
has gotten overly strict about what it accepts recently, and which I do not
use anyways (because I am still on Snow Leopard), so I will not be able to
reproduce your error (my /opt/local/bin/cobc successfully compiles the
example source file into a runnable executable on my machine). That being
said, however, I suppose I can still try updating it to a newer version
anyways, seeing as livecheck says to do so as well... right now I am still
trying to get the new version to fetch properly... you could open a ticket
and assign it to me so we could have a more central place to work out this
update...