[MacPorts] #42672: x264 @20130823_0: universal build failure on Apple clang, i386 issues.

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 00:07:48 PST 2014

On Tuesday March 04 2014 18:36:51 MacPorts wrote:

> Comment (by devans@…):
>
>  +asm marked conflicts +universal in r117592 for now.

some questions:

- any idea/estimation on the performance gains the +asm variant allows
- I'm not at my Mac, but are you sure +asm isn't a dependency of ffmpeg (I have the +gpl2+nonfree+universal variant)?
- If it is (and I realise this may seem overly kludgy), would it be possible (for now ;) ) to drop +asm in the 32bit build of +asm+universal (which would just introduce another performance loss for 32bit compared to 64 bit)? I think ffmpeg+universal is build already through separate i386 and x86_64 builds lipoed together at the end (so the infrastructure is there to combine asm and "non asm" builds into a single universal file), am I correct?