clang memory usage vs. gcc (and OS X 10.8, 10.9, ...)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 11:49:34 PDT 2014

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 11:33 AM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday March 16 2014 09:56:47 Ryan Schmidt wrote:> clang 3.5 and later
> require C++11, and will say so if you try to install them on a system
> without C++11. Effectively, this means clang 3.5 and later require OS X
> 10.9 Mavericks or later.
>
> Hmmm, I thought clang supported C++11 ; I presume you're referring to a
> system-dependent C++11 runtime that is not (or cannot) be provided by clang
> itself? Out of curiosity, how does this work on Linux?

Apple provides, and ships libraries that require, specific runtimes. You
could build the C++11 runtime yourself, but you will get link errors with
Apple libraries that use C++ because they only work with the old runtime.
(And conversely on 10.9, Apple libraries require the C++11 runtime and you
can't use them with stuff requiring the older one.)

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#libcpp

Linux gets around this by forcing everything to the new runtime; Apple will
not ship GPL3 stuff so stuck to older gcc with the older runtime, until
they moved to clang completely in 10.9 and switched to clang's C++11
runtime. (gcc/g++'s C++11 runtime is GPL3+ only.)

I hate it when generic programming languages or their features become
> dependent on an OS. I can more or less accept that for ObjC because like
> .Net it is so closely related to an OS-specific GUI framework. But much
> less so for C++ ... isn't there some kind of standards committee that could
> avoid this from happening?

Hi, "C++11" refers to a standard defined by a standards committee. The
problem is a *licensing* issue, and Apple made its choice in that matter
and nobody can do anything about it.