usage numbers for macports vs. homebrew?

Guido Soranzio guido.soranzio at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 06:50:29 PDT 2014

On Mar 18, 2014, at 1:28pm, Ryan Schmidt-24 wrote:

>> I’ve given Homebrew a quick try in a VM and it doesn’t seem that
>> different in functionality. (Except that I do wish we had something
>> like Homebrew-cask.)

> For those of us not familiar with Homebrew: what is this feature? what does it do?

Homebrew provides two types of binary packages: Bottles and Casks.

Bottles are built automatically by a Test Bot which monitors all
the incoming Pull Requests: if a formula includes bottling instructions,
the tarballs are uploaded to SourceForge and downloaded automatically
on install.

Casks are not part of the main HomeBrew project and you must “tap”
and install them manually: their recipes are very simple and allow
to install comfortably the official installers from the Terminal.
In case of a .dmg, for instance, its contents is un/mounted and
linked into your local ~/Applications folder.

In the case of a .pkg file, its bill-of-materials is analysed and
you can uninstall its contents at once: this is a useful feature that
Apple’s own 'pkgutil —unlink' doesn’t offer anymore.

Guido

—
https://github.com/gui-dos/Guigna