MacPorts 2.3.0 has been released

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat May 24 08:44:45 PDT 2014

On May 24, 2014, at 8:04 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Saturday May 24 2014 16:14:35 Joshua Root wrote:
>> The MacPorts Project is happy to announce that the 2.3.0 version has now
>> been released. It is available via the usual methods:
>> The list of what's new in 2.3.0 can be found in the ChangeLog [10].
>> [10]
>> <http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/branches/release_2_3/base/ChangeLog>
>
> {{{
>    - Support clang's -stdlib option explicitly using configure.cxx_stdlib
>      rather than relying on its default value. This can be used to make
>      MacPorts use libc++ on OS X < 10.9. (larryv in r110519)
> }}}
>
> What's the interest of doing that - if libc++ on >= 10.9 makes it all but impossible to use gcc on C++ code, doesn't the same (or rather, the inverse) apply on OS X < 10.9?

libstdc++ does not support C++11. I see more and more ports requiring C++11, and thus currently requiring OS X 10.9 or later. That's a bit annoying.

Using a newer FSF gcc might be one solution to getting C++11 support on earlier OS X versions. But Apple is no longer interested in gcc. Apple is interested in clang and libc++. It might behoove us to follow that lead. But, trying to use libc++ on previous OS X versions where it was not the default could lead to other problems, if there are in fact system libraries that use libc++ and we want to use any of those system libraries from a port.

I think the option mostly exists to let developers experiment with these possibilities more easily.