Package open-cobol not working for me

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue May 27 15:37:14 PDT 2014

On May 27, 2014, at 5:00 PM, Michael Peternell wrote:

> I installed the "open-cobol" package but when I try to compile a program with it, it does not work:
>
> $ cobc hello.cob
> clang: error: unknown argument: '-R/opt/local/lib' [-Wunused-command-line-argument-hard-error-in-future]
> clang: note: this will be a hard error (cannot be downgraded to a warning) in the future
>
> (hello.cob is from here: http://www.opencobol.org/modules/bwiki/index.php?cmd=read&page=UserManual%2F1 )
>
> I have written a detailed report of the issue here:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/open-cobol/discussion/help/thread/e1b4af35/
>
> Is the open-cobol package working for anyone? If yes, what is different in your system configuration? If no, where can I file a bug report so that this package is fixed eventually?

It looks like at configure time, open-cobol decides that the "-R" flag should be used. This and the compiler choice then get baked into cobc. The "-R" flag should not be used when the compiler does not support it. The developers of open-cobol should fix this. Or they may already have fixed it in version 2, to which we should update the port. Actually it looks like the project's name may have changed (or may be in the process of changing) to gnu-cobol; the 2.0 update may be an opportunity for us to rename the port. I'm Cc'ing Eric who maintains this port.