The crazy thing I did to fix Yosemite performance

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 09:52:13 PST 2014

On Tuesday November 04 2014 10:53:06 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> > Can you tell me which tool is that?
>
> There's no tool. You just use the normal OS X installer program to install onto an external disk instead of your internal disk.

Well, for installing to an external disk you don't need special tools, but for cloning an existing install it's much easier to use Carbon Copy Cloner.

> But you might not even need that, because ever since OS X 10.7, you already have a recovery partition on your internal disk that you can boot to in case of trouble:

Sure, but that gives a very limited environment. Nothing to do with your usual login environment and the tools you might have available there. Even if the recovery partition allows you to mount your usual boot disk and run apps from it, that very action will make it impossible to do the kind of maintenance that requires to unmount the disk.

R.