Case-sensitive file system

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Thu Nov 6 13:06:21 PST 2014

In article <8D2D8233-983B-4EDF-BCBB-23431D7F206A at macports.org>,
 Vincent Habchi <vince at macports.org> wrote:
> Le 6 nov. 2014 à 21:20, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> a écrit :
> > There was a discussion here on the Mac's case-sensitive-but-not-quite file
> > system, and I was convinced to leave it the way it is (it breaks something
> > in MacPorts or something).  Well, I've just been convinced otherwise…
> I’ve been running MacPorts on a case-sensitive HFS+ disk for years now, and
> it works like a charm. Don’t let you gull by the grapevine!

So have I: since OS X 10.5, in fact.  I don't recall ever encountering a
MacPorts-related problem with using case-sensitive HFS.  In the past, I
ran into a few problems with older (non-MacPorts) third-party Mac
applications that did not work properly on case-sensitive HFS+, usually
because of some silly mistyped mixed-case file name inside of the app
bundle.  Some discussion of a few recent apps here:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/46322/what-programs-have-trouble
-with-case-sensitive-hfsx-filesystems-and-how-to-fi

That said, I haven't noticed a problem in years and I use case-sensitive
HFS as the root file systems on all of my primary systems.  I also use
default, case-insensitive HFS on other test systems.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org