questions regarding selfupdate issue

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sat Nov 15 08:38:50 PST 2014

Hi René,

----- On 15 Nov, 2014, at 15:02, René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com wrote:

> Yes. Here's a fresh one from my 10.9.4 VM, this time unpolluted:

> Warning: Failed to open Portfile from registry for avahi @0.6.31_12+gtk+gtk3+python27+x11
> […]
> Warning: Failed to open Portfile from registry for avahi @0.6.31_12+gtk+gtk3+python27+x11
> […]
> Error: port uninstall failed: error deleting
> "/opt/local/var/macports/registry/portfiles/avahi-0.6.31_12/# -*- coding:
> utf-8; mode: tcl; tab-width: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil; c-basic-offset: 4 -*-
> vim:fenc=utf-8:ft=tcl:et:sw=4:ts=4:sts=4
> […]

> And that was a port installed last February, probably while upgrading a previous
> version and from a binary package. And as I said in a previous message, my 10.9
> MacPorts install has been recreated from scratch and a list of installed ports,
> as outlined in the migration guide.

Really the only relevant question here is which version of MacPorts did you run when
you installed the port, and which version are you running now.

> Neither do I. I take it that if this were a permissions issue preventing the
> database update an error would have been raised?

Yes.

> The only other strange thing (but that I cannot reproduce right now) is that I
> used to get a message printed (when using -v) that mentioned NFS and my home
> directory name or login, and which corresponded to up to several seconds in
> which the tclsh process was taking near 100%CPU.
>
> I could easily imagine that you do things differently for NFS home directories
> or things like that, but I don't have that. I only have an NFS mount under
> /Volumes that shouldn't be considered by MacPorts at all.

No, we don't treat NFS home directories any different from non-NFS ones, and
I'm not aware of any reasons why we should.

> Did I mention that this is the first time that the "uninstall glitch" causes
> trouble during a selfupdate?

So maybe you just recently updated to the MacPorts version that has this change?
Which version are you actually running? What does
 $> sqlite3 /opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db 'SELECT * FROM metadata'
print?

--
Clemens Lang