Why I Run Old System Software

C.T. semaphore45 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 11 17:20:28 PDT 2014

Apple didn't make the scanner, but when they cut something the software relies upon to work, that's Apple's responsibility. Of course it would much easier if there were no patent on Rosetta's technology, where it could have been released as open source.

> El 11/10/2014, a las 17:25, Dominik Reichardt <domiman at gmail.com> escribió:
>

>> On 11.10.2014, at 21:22, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> But now 10.6 has less of the automation and integration we love from OS X. Using its Safari is now strongly discouraged because of security flaws. I absolutely need two independent browsers, and I won't install a Google product on my machines. I can't launch two Firefox profiles in the same user session. And I need one of these browsers to be very fast.
>
> Curios, I saved C.T.’s actual email to reply to this point but it got somehow lost in my inbox…
>
> Anyway, if I don’t understand you completely wrong, you can easily launch two firefox sessions on OS X with each using a different profile.
> Firefox profiles are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles.
>
> I use two profiles, the default one that gets used automatically when you start Firefox (profile name: default) and another one called “test”.
>
> To launch Firefox with a specific profile launch it with
> /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -no-remote -P profilename
>
> I use an apple script with just the command
> do shell script "/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -no-remote -P test  &> /dev/null &”
>
> Worked for me since OS X 10.6.
> Just now I found that the -no-remote switch might no longer be necessary. It used to be important so that the second instance would really use the profile set with -P and not the profile of the already running instance. Might be that this has changed in the last five/six years.
>
> And sorry if I misunderstood you.
>
> Take care
>
> Dominik

Sounds fair, basically I expected a second session to just pop the session chooser dialog before launching. Apparently I'd need to explicitly tell it to use a given profile.