MacPorts 2.3.2 and "port provides"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Oct 18 17:22:43 PDT 2014

On Oct 18, 2014, at 5:40 PM, Greg Earle wrote:

> I just did a selfupdate to 2.3.2, and when I try to run
>
> sudo port provides /private/opt/local/<some/path>
>
> it always says
>
> /private/opt/local/<some/path> is not provided by a MacPorts port, e.g.

MacPorts should be in /opt/local, not /private/opt/local.

Is it possible that /opt is a symlink to /private/opt? Ancient versions of the Cisco VPN installer were known to have moved /opt to /private/opt, then placed a symlink at /opt.

This is silly and can cause problems for MacPorts which can't always answer "port provides" queries through a symlink.

Assuming I'm right about the above, you should remove the /opt symlink, then move /private/opt back to /opt.