"Updating database of binaries" step very slow under Yosemite?

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Oct 22 12:47:40 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 3:34 PM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, I think it's a bit (much) overkill to scan all binaries when installing a new or upgrading an existing port. In principle MacPorts knows which ports depend on which other ports, and it knows what files a port contains. So it shouldn't be overly difficult to scan only likely candidates for potential dependency issues after an install or upgrade, and make the full, in-depth scan something the user can execute when required (e.g. when instructed to do so as part of a trouble-shooting procedure).

I'm pretty sure that the scan only checks newly installed files. It
certainly doesn't take multiple minutes every time on my system. I
only saw a very long scan after re-installing all my ports after
migrating to Yosemite. Subsequent scans have been much faster,
respective of the size of the ports I've installed since.

> I find that very often I simply interrupt the scanning process because I don't want to have to wait for it.

Aside from missing any broken ports until the next time you run the
scan, I don't think this should have any detrimental impact on your
installation. You could disable the scan with --no-rev-upgrade and run
the command on its own (port rev-upgrade) once you're done installing
ports; continuing your real work in another window.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448