"Updating database of binaries" step very slow under Yosemite?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 22 15:38:26 PDT 2014

On Oct 22, 2014, at 3:06 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Wednesday October 22 2014 15:51:38 Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>
>> On Oct 22, 2014, at 3:47 PM, Arno Hautala wrote:
>>
>>> I'm pretty sure that the scan only checks newly installed files.
>>
>> Correct.
>>
>> Only "new" (yet-to-be-scanned) files get added, then only the applicable files are checked during rev-upgrade.
>
> What's the point in scanning newly installed files? I thought the whole idea was to scan already installed files for ABI issues due to the newly installed (dylib) files?

Yes, that's the whole idea.

During rev-upgrade, there are two phases; you'll see two progress bars.

The first analyzes all the files that were installed since the last time you ran rev-upgrade and records whether they're binaries or not.

The second analyzes all installed binary files to see if they're broken (mislinked).