controlling Macports version of Apache2

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Thu Oct 23 18:52:08 PDT 2014

> On Oct 23, 2014, at 9:33 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:
> On Oct 23, 2014, at 8:34 PM, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:
> > On Oct 23, 2014, at 7:09 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> port notes installed
> >
> > Aha useful.
> >
> > Except that Apache2 yields:
> >
> > "apache2 has no notes."
>
> I am fairly certain that I recalled instructions in the re-installation process (post Yosemite) of Apache2 on how to start and stop Apache2.
>
> Sadly, there are still ports which use ui_msg in their postinstall sections, which can only be found after the fact by manually inspecting their Portfiles. (I ran into another one, xinit, earlier today.)
>
> Clearly Apachectl does not work. (/usr/sbin/apachectl)
> It expects to run /usr/sbin/httpd as its binary
>
> I would have expected the apache2 ports to install /opt/local/sbin/apachectl, possibly with a version appended. But looking at the apache2 Portfile, it appears to actually be /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl. (This path should have been visible in the plist you found.)

Finding /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl was "obvious." But not from any pllist file.

Looking at that file and comparing it with Apple's they are significantly different.
I.e. /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl  contains no reference to a plist file, OR the use of launchctl. It looks like a non-Apple oriented, plain Unix start file.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.10
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.10 OSX Server (now dead)

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com