controlling Macports version of Apache2

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Thu Oct 23 20:30:22 PDT 2014

> On Oct 23, 2014, at 10:58 PM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at macports.org> wrote:
>
> At 10:43 PM -0400 10/23/14, William H. Magill wrote:
>> > On Oct 23, 2014, at 9:55 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 9:52 PM, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:
>>> Finding /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl was "obvious." But not from any pllist file.
>>>
>>> Looking at that file and comparing it with Apple's they are significantly different.
>>> I.e. /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl  contains no reference to a plist file, OR the use of launchctl. It looks like a non-Apple oriented, plain Unix start file.
>>
>>> Other way around: the MacPorts launchd plist uses apachectl to actually start the web server, as indicated by the apache2 Portfile. apachectl itself does not reference launchd, it is referenced *by* launchd via the plist.
>>
>> That is the set of instructions I was looking for... I know I've seen them someplace, but cannot find them anywhere!
>> I don't see them in the Portfile for apache2. Maybe they have just gotten lost in an upgrade.
>>
>> They should be something like:
>>
>> sudo /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.apache2/apache2.wrapper stop
>> sudo /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.apache2/apache2.wrapper start
>> sudo /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.apache2/apache2.wrapper restart
>>
>> It's not the most obvious thing in the world.
>
> Perhaps you want the "A" portion of MAMP:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MAMP

Thanks for providing the URL!!!  -- otherwise one can't find it from the MacPorts home page.
"The link to Documentation" is a dead-end page. No links to any other documents. Or even a reference to the existence of the WikI

I'll have to read through it to see if it is current now with Yosemite.
I last used it back under snow leopard, but then switched to using OSX Server since it was bundled with my MacMiini.
But now Apple has unbundled it.

At any rate, I expect I'll wind up getting all of MAMP installed and running again -- I had forgotten all of the pieces to the puzzle!
Thanks again for the link!

I haven't had this much "fun" migrating from one environment to another since I retired!
At least it gives me something to do when I get tired of killing Orcs!

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.10
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.10 OSX Server (now dead)

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com