renaming MacPorts' install directory - how to handle the TM backup(s)?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 10:14:41 PDT 2014

On Sunday September 07 2014 10:24:09 Brandon Allbery wrote:

> from overwriting a file (you'd want to break the hardlink first if you only
> want it to affect that backup, and for that-backup-and-forward you'd need
> to re-hardlink the later backups with the original inode number).

A mv (rename) shouldn't change the inode, if at least the operation works the same way as on a more standard FS (without directory hardlinks :))

Anyway, turns out I could do `sudo bypass mv MacPorts MP/6` even after having created MP. Apparently directories can only be renamed in the same parent directory...