Simple Question, Invalid Link

Alejandro Imass aimass at yabarana.com
Tue Sep 9 03:28:02 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 7:06 PM, Jerry Zhang <jerryzh168 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Actually I want to verify the some security property  for several
> softwares on ubuntu apt package manager, it seems that they are only in
> apt, not brew or macport, that’s why I was trying to install apt using
> macport the other day, hoping to install them on mac.

Sometimes package names will not match exactly but almost surely any
software available via apt/dpkg is packaged from a more generic source
distribution and most likely available in MacPorts if it's a popular
package and would not be so hard to port otherwise. I suggest you research
what the original project source is (unless of course is a proprietary and
closed binary software made for specifically for Ubuntu (e.g. Skype for
Linux)). Usually the language is a tell-tale sign of where and how the
package could be sourced for MacPorts or simply download the source and
compile yourself.

Even if the package is not directly in MacPorts, most likely a lot of the
dependencies and tools necessary to build it are. Examples are any packages
originally developed in C, Java,  Perl, Python, Ruby, etc. In these cases,
even though the package itself is not directly in MacPorts, most or all the
base tools would so building from source is usually very easy.

Best,
Alex