Poll: Of Qt and KDE applications on OS X, and the About/Preferences menu.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 17 17:35:28 PDT 2014

On Sep 17, 2014, at 11:17 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> All this does beg the question: to what extent is it MacPorts' role/mission to go beyond getting apps to work on OS X, but also make them follow OS X interface guidelines? I cannot help but think of all those X11/GTk/Gnome ports, which make no such effort at all ...

I don't see that as part of MacPorts' mission. Our mission is to package and make easily installable/upgradeable/uninstallable software that other developers provide. If I see something un-Mac-like or otherwise wrong in software I should report that to the developers, but it's up to them to fix it. I don't necessarily have expertise in the APIs and programming languages being used. If I am able to provide a patch to fix something then I may do so as a courtesy, but I don't feel it's my job to fix someone else's software.