Where is AS located after Binutils is installed?

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Apr 9 13:15:35 PDT 2015

----- On 9 Apr, 2015, at 21:57, Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com wrote:

> I installed binutils in an effort to get the updated assembler. But I
> can't seem to find it:

The canonical way to find stuff installed by a certain port is
  port contents $portname | grep $whatyouneed,
i.e. in your case
  port contents binutils | grep -E 'as$'

> Where is AS located after binutils is installed?

However, you won't have much luck with that, because binutils doesn't
come with GNU as on OS X. That's not a choice MacPorts made, but done
by upstream's configure.ac, see line 909, where it says
  noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs ld gas gprof"
in a case matching x86_64-*-darwin*.

I assume this is because GNU as is actually not useful on OS X, but you'd
have to ask upstream on details.

--
Clemens Lang