transfer /opt/local to another machine

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 13 03:23:00 PDT 2015

On Apr 13, 2015, at 5:06 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Monday April 13 2015 11:43:51 j. van den hoff wrote:
>
>>> If the core-i7 build is using CPU instructions your core 2 due does not
>>> have, then the performance hit will be 'significant' (i.e. it simply
>>> will not run...).
>>
>> OK, _that_ I would note and accordingly would recompile ;-). I'm not
>> trying to avoid that at all costs, anyway. being able to transfer an
>
> And it's more than likely that it will happen. It would surprise me somewhat if Atlas doesn't check for `-march=native` support, and that would give you AVX (and later) support if your i7 supports that.
> You ought to ask the question the other way round: how much of a (real-world) performance hit would you see when running Atlas built on a C2Duo on an i7.

But he's not interested in the answer to that question, because he doesn't have it built on a Core 2 Duo machine. He has it built on an i7 machine, and now wants to install it on a Core 2 Duo machine without building it again. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if that's realistic, given the prior discussion in this thread.